West Hood Construction Company is looking to hire 1 Metal Fabricators/fitter to work in our Fabrication Shop located in Huntsville near the Airport.
We are also seeking a Metal Fabricator to operate our Band Saw.
Position Description: Responsible for fabricating and assembling miscellaneous metals for various project related needs.
Reports to: Shop Foreman, Shop or Project Manager, and Trades Manager
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Designs and constructs templates and fixtures.
- Develops layout and plans sequence of operations, applying knowledge of geometry, stock allowances for thickness, machining, welding shrinkage, and physical properties of metal.
- Locates and marks bending lines, drill centers and cutting lines onto work piece.
- Sets up and operates fabricating machines, such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, and drill presses.
- Verifies conformance of work piece to specifications, using square, ruler, and measuring tape and holds team accountable to the same standard of quality control and accuracy.
- Fabricate and assemble sheet metal products.
- Weld stainless steel, carbon steel, and possibly other alloys in flat, vertical, or overhead positions
- Set up and operate machine tools associated with fabricating shops, such as radial drill press, end mill, and edge planer.
- Utilize forklift, boom truck or overhead crane to position materials for fabrications or to handle loading and unloading trucks and equipment.
- Operate various types of welding machines and supporting hand tools.
- Assist with the overall site safety and quality programs as required and ensuring Trade employees/subcontractors compliance with West Hood Construction Company standards and all applicable safety codes, regulations, and jobsite security
- Maintain positive working relationships with customers, contractors, suppliers and other employees
- Ability to travel and accommodate night and weekend work as needed
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Display a high level of teamwork, integrity, commitment, and leadership in daily operations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Lifting/Lowering/Carrying – Weights|
|Under 25 lbs||X|
|Over 50 lbs||X|
|Lifting/Lowering/Carrying – Ranges|
|Reaching above shoulder height||X|
|Reaching below shoulder height||X|
|Bending at waist (forward & sideways)||X|
|Hand / Wrist Flexion – Extension||X|
|Noise / Dust / Chemical Exposures||X|
|Confined Space Hazards||X|
|Working on Heights||X|
|Vision abilities required include||Close, distance, color, peripheral, depth perception, and focus|
|Hearing abilities required include||Hearing abilities required with or without the use of an aide|
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the fabrication shop where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
**May perform other duties as necessary or assigned.
West Hood Construction Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer –
Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
- Three (3) years of experience in a fabrication shop or similar environment
- Ability to pass a pre-employment weld test (bend and or/ X Ray)
- Fabrication certificate from related craft training program strongly preferred
- Ability to read and interpret construction plans and specifications.
- Strong math skills are required.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills are required.
- Must be able to comprehend safety instructions and signage, communicate effectively in emergency situations and understand written safety instructions from tool and equipment manufacturers
- Valid Driver’s License preferred
West Hood Construction Company is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer – minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor